Monday, October 17, 2011

Dinner Rolls

My friend Robin made these last night and I am completly in love! They are so easy I may make them all the time and will probably gain 25lbs in the next week!

The dough can be made by hand, in a mixer or a bread maker...I will give you the mixer version!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
1/2 cup warm milk
1 egg
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (I used half whole wheat flour)
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast or 2.5 tsp yeast from the jar

Directions:
Mix water and milk, nuke in the microwave for 1 minute and 15 seconds, or if you don't use a microwave like me you can heat it in a pan on the stove - just don't scald it. I then pour it into the bowl of my KitchenAid mixer. Stir in the sugar until dissolved, then stirred in the yeast. After it gets all foamy, about 10 minutes, mix in the salt, butter and egg. Turn the KitchenAid on and start adding the flour a half cup at a time.
 
Without egg wash
Put it in a warm, oiled bowl to rise. I let it rise for about 45 minutes in the bowl, then punched it down, divided it into 12 balls (I didn't feel like making crescents) and let it rise for another hour, then bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees, (I kept my oven at 350 degrees because it cooks really hot). They turned out like something from a bakery. Also, you can brush them with melted butter after if you'd like but they really don't need it. If you want them to be a deep shiny golden brown, brush them with egg yoke right before cooking.
With Egg Wash

1 comment:

Cooke family said...

Looks yummy! What tempature for baking? And is the extra butter to brush on before baking?