Saturday, April 19, 2008

Saga of the sick baby girl

The sick baby saga continues...
Sick Baby Girl

Thursday I decided to take Hannah to the medical clinic here in Kenai, as she wasn’t getting better like Dr. Herron said she would. Thankfully they were able to fit her in – none of the pediatric clinics are taking new patients. Baby boom or some business… :}
Oh so sick...

After x-rays and a nebulizer they sent me packing as fast as I could go - to the EMERGENCY ROOM! I was kinda freaked out by the intensity of the clinic doctor. I think she thought I’m a bad mom and was trying to freak me out. I started praying the minute I hopped in the truck.

So sad...

I started singing the song “My God will supply all my needs according to his riches and glory in Christ Jesus,” which is actually Philippians 4:19.

We made it to the hospital with minimal speeding, except my heart was going about a million miles an hour. When we arrived they were expecting us and immediately rushed us to a room. All the sudden 3 doctors and 2 nurses rushed in and started poking, prodding, peering, listening and more to my baby girl. It was around shift change time so every 2 minutes someone new was walking in the door to look at my baby. We both shed a few tears to say the least. Thankfully she was a champ and endured it pretty well, better than I would have if I were in her position.

Laying in bed, hooked up to machines

After blood work and x-rays (they put her in this contraption which looked something similar to mid-evil torture chamber) they told me our baby girl has pneumonia and we were being admitted to the hospital!!! I started crying then...That morning I read in the paper Cameron Diaz's dad just died of pneumonia and he was 58, not a mere 6 months old...

Boy did I start praying even harder...

Prayer is a powerful thing

Hannah has drastically improved and is back to her smiley self, as long as the nurses and doctors quit poking and prodding at her. It seemed like every time she finally fell asleep someone would come in and wake her up. Last night she was down and out – counting serious sheep, when along came her night nurse to hook up her antibiotics to her IV. Low and behold she woke her up. Then this morning the CAN came and wanted to wake her up to weigh her at 6am. Monster mom almost came out. I said, no you will not wake my baby up. Come back later and they did!

Watching her movie

Thankfully today, Saturday, we got to go home!! I started lobbying all the nurses on Friday morning to convince the doctor to let us go home and do out-patient antibiotics. (Thanks to some advice from my personal nurse Jenn.) Praise the Lord it worked! This morning the doctor came in and said, “How would you feel about going home today and coming back in the evenings to do the antibiotics?” I said YES PLEASE!!!

Hannah is feeling much better!

Now we are home and she is getting good sleep! Thank you for all your prayers. We have two more rounds of antibiotics then a drs visit on Monday. I pray he will give her a clean bill of health and we can start enjoying our vacation!

Our smiley girl is back!

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness! How scary! I'm so glad that Hannah is feeling better and will keep you and your family in my prayers that she continues to get better and no further mishaps occur on your "vacation"!

Love,
Sarah

David, Jenn, and Abby said...

Poor Hannah!! And poor Kristi too. Glad she is doing better and hope you are now enjoying your time with family.
Love you guys!

The Duvals said...

We're thinking and praying for you Kristi, Hannah, and Jeremy! Having a sick baby is a very scary thing but God is watching over all of you. Don't fear or worry!

Anonymous said...

Kristi,I agree with you "prayer is a powerful thing". My email went out to soon, then I decided to check your blog. Hannah is going to be just fine. You know who is in control. Enjoy your vacation. :) Patsy

Anonymous said...

Dear Kristi, I am so sorry the Doctors scared you and little Hannah by admitting you all to the hospital ! Grandpa has been sick so I haven,t been to the library to check e-mail to reassure you. Hannah sure is precious and recall Jeremy keeping me up nights with the croup! love Grandma

Anonymous said...

We are so glad to hear that Hannah is feeling better. You have also been in our prayers!

Love you guys,

John and Vicki

Cooke family said...

Poor Hannah! We've been through the whole pneumonia thing too with baby Logan. It's too bad the doctors scared you so much, they should be more sensitive and reassuring, especially when it's a baby! Glad she's getting better!

The Day's said...

I'm so glad she's better!! We sure missed you guys and we're glad you're back. And Rachael's glad she has her little friend back too.